Monday, November 12, 2018

Hello!

I thought I would post a recent picture of the Burkhardt family (minus Kirtana, 30 and Eli, 34). That's my youngest, just turned 6, Zoey. Yes I hit the reset button!

Last July Zoey was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. More or less it came out of nowhere. At least for the major symptoms. As a matter of fact we picked her up from camp the morning she was diagnosed, she seemed absolutely fine other than very hungry! When we got to the hospital an hour later, her blood sugar was 940! The doctors and nurses  called her a miracle. She was in the ER cracking jokes, being as precocious and silly as ever!

My wife, Cheryl knew something was wrong. When we went to the pediatrician that day, she had packed a bag for the hospital knowing what was to come. I was in denial right until the doctor walk into the office with a very concerned expression on his face. Unbeknownst to us our pediatrician has been type 1 for 27 years.

Fast forward to today, with the help of some amazing technology and great support from family and friends, Zoey is doing great!

If you know anyone with children with type 1 diabetes, please feel free to have them contact me.

I'm posting this because November is type 1 diabetes awareness month.

Best,

Keith

No comments: